Today was a typical autumn day: grey, dull, and rainy! And yes, I know it’s the 4th of September. What do we do on a rainy day? We watch movies! (Well I, personally, eat cookies or something and I watch movies). Today, I’m going to share with you the movies and TV shows that had a (significant) impact on my style. Let’s have a look!
For my love of fashion in general:
Fashion has always been a passion of mine. It comes thus to no surprise that these movies and this TV show made quite an impression on me.
- The Devil Wears Prada: Like duh! Epic. All Andrea’s outfits – post-makeover – were flawless. Miranda’s outfits are flawless. Emily’s outfits are flawless. The movie is flawless.
- Gossip Girl: Like double duh! Fashion was almost a main character of the show! I was a Blair. But I have to admit that Serena’s style was also incredible. It’s hard to pinpoint what was the best outfit of the show (it’s almost impossible actually) or to identify what aspect was the best fashion-wise. But one of the biggest impact that this show had on my style was the print. I used to wear only monochromatic pieces – except for the striped shirt 😉 – but the show (and especially Blair’s style) made me fall in love with prints. It’s fun, it’s daring, it’s fab! It also made me want to try kind of over-the-top outfits.
- 13 Going on 30. The scene where she gets ready for the party? My favorite of the movie! And thanks to that scene, I need a closet just like hers 😉
For a particular style:
There are several pieces and particularities in my style that – I think – come from a specific movie, and a specific show, namely Legally Blonde and Charlie’s Angels (the original series!).
- Legally Blonde: My love of pink! It doesn’t get more girly than that. You can get into Harvard. You can be powerful. You can do all that and still look like a girly girl. (All right, I know that’s just a movie, and that most of us won’t get into Harvard but the message is valid!)
- Charlie’s Angels: My love of flared jeans! Besides, those girls were badasses and they were always so feminine and stylish. That’s girl power!
For the “everyday” life:
I cannot dress like Blair Waldorf or Elle Woods all the time.
- One Tree Hill: When I was younger, I was not as “brave” with my style as now. Even if I wanted to wear something a little out of the ordinary, I didn’t always dare to do so. Which is stupid when you think about it, but I was not as confident as I am now with my style. Anyway, that’s why this show made an impression on me, because they dressed less extravagant but still looked great. Brooke Davis was always on point. She looked feminine and strong and stylish and I ❤ B. Davis!
- Hart of Dixie: Zoe always looked sooo stylish. Cute. Fashionable. Sexy. Elegant. So fab.
- Pretty Little Liars: I like the fact that every girl has its own personal style. Spencer is preppy, Hanna is rock, Emily is sporty, and Aria is boho. I like all of them, because depending on my mood I’ll adopt any of the character’s style. It’s funny because at first, I was going to write that Aria’s style was my favorite. But then, I thought that (i) Hanna’s style was super cool; (ii) Spencer’s style was super fun; and (iii) I love the combo jeans-sneakers (which I own a lot), just like Emily’s style.
For the corporate life:
I cannot wear jeans and sneakers to go to work. Where do I get my inspiration? When the time comes and I have to work in the corporate/business world, I don’t want to dress like a man (‘Cause I’m a womaaaan, W.O.M.A.N.). So, when I grow up, I want to dress like Ally McBeal and the women in Suits!
- Ally McBeal: Huge fan of Ally McBeal. And I love the fact that she dressed however she likes. She often wore short skirts and it made her feel sexy and confident. I’d love to be able to wear feminine suits, and skirts to work.
- Suits: Jessica Pearson. She’s always impeccably dressed. She exudes confidence. That’s a role model! That’s a powerful female character!
Here are my favorite fashion-related movies/TV shows! What’s yours? 🙂
P.S.: Featured Photo Credit: Teen Vogue